Today i decided to go to a place i another guest in Santa Fe told me about. Acoma tribes Sky City. About a 45 minute drive from the camp. So i get there after a beautiful drive. I arrive at the check in and am told it is 23 bucks just to go up to the Sky City. OK. Then it is a 17 buck charge for a picture taking permit. What the hell? I told her that was a bull shit charge and was not paying it. She did the right thing and gave it to me for free. The other people in line followed me and got it free as well. It was a short drive up a mountain to the village. Not what i was expecting. Kind of a dump. The tour guide was nice for the most part, but made it known we were outsiders. We walked around while she gave us the history of the area sand her people. She made it clear what the Spaniards did to them in graphic detail. the entire tour was interrupted constantly by her having us stop to see the next "vendor" peddling their items. The clay pots were very nice if you like that style. But what the hell? 200 buck for tiny little pots. Very over priced. Only one guy bought and over priced pot for his wife. At the end of the tour you were given the option of going back down in the bus or climbing down the "stairs" they have used for almost a thousand years. I thought, what the heck, i will walk down. Kind of crazy how steep some of it was. Non of the elderly dared to try it. I got to the bottom. Took tons of pics and headed out after i went to the museum. As i drove out i saw a road to turn off just before my road to the highway. I turned hoping for more scenic pics to take. Well, a minute into my drive, a truck comes flying up behind me. I move over thinking it was going somewhere. Nope, he flagged me down to stop. I realized i might be on private land. Se he gets out and starts to yell and cuss at me. I told him i was sorry but i did not see a sign and to stop cussing at me. He told me to fuck off many times. Told me i was disrespecting his peoples land. I told him i wasn't and he was disrespecting his people by talking to me that way. He got even more enraged about it. I told him to clam down and i would head out. He said get out now or i will fucking shoot you. So now i am like "what?", over this. So he goes to his truck and grabs his gun. So i thought, maybe i will start to back up. He continues to call me names, telling me that he was going to put a bullet in my white ass. Wow! I didn't grab my camera fast enough to take a pic of him or his truck, wished i had. SO i realize that one time that i go out in the desert for and excursion, i did not bring my gun and it was the first time someone pulled a gun on me. Would i have used it? I don't know, But i would have made sure he knew i had one and it was better than his. I continued to turn around and he kept yelling racial slurs at me. Pointing the gun at me like a crazed mad man. I think what pisses me off the most is that they want us to come to their land and spend our money. Begging for us to but their pots and jewelry. Pushing home made food on us for way too much money. They don't pay taxes. Get government money for something we did not do to them. Have the nerve to look down on us for being there. And then they call us names, speak about us in bad ways (like we were the ones who took their land), and the moment you step out of what they think is against their custom, they freak out on us. Well that is fucked up. As i drove away, i decided to stop at the police station which was on the very same road. I walked in and looked at the guy at the front desk and told him a quick detail of the events. He looked at me and said "were you on Acoma land?, i said yes, he smiled and looked back down. So, nothing will be done by them, i left and decided that i will make sure everyone know how we are treated out there. I will post this to every travel blog i can find. To any reviews of the area. To any government website i can find pertaining to this area. Needless to say, i wont be coming back here any time soon. Gonna relax the rest of my last night here. Do some laundry. I guess i will let you see some pics of their area, if you ever want to come out here. LOL
Saturday, September 7, 2013
Well today started good, turned very bad. I need a beer.
Today i decided to go to a place i another guest in Santa Fe told me about. Acoma tribes Sky City. About a 45 minute drive from the camp. So i get there after a beautiful drive. I arrive at the check in and am told it is 23 bucks just to go up to the Sky City. OK. Then it is a 17 buck charge for a picture taking permit. What the hell? I told her that was a bull shit charge and was not paying it. She did the right thing and gave it to me for free. The other people in line followed me and got it free as well. It was a short drive up a mountain to the village. Not what i was expecting. Kind of a dump. The tour guide was nice for the most part, but made it known we were outsiders. We walked around while she gave us the history of the area sand her people. She made it clear what the Spaniards did to them in graphic detail. the entire tour was interrupted constantly by her having us stop to see the next "vendor" peddling their items. The clay pots were very nice if you like that style. But what the hell? 200 buck for tiny little pots. Very over priced. Only one guy bought and over priced pot for his wife. At the end of the tour you were given the option of going back down in the bus or climbing down the "stairs" they have used for almost a thousand years. I thought, what the heck, i will walk down. Kind of crazy how steep some of it was. Non of the elderly dared to try it. I got to the bottom. Took tons of pics and headed out after i went to the museum. As i drove out i saw a road to turn off just before my road to the highway. I turned hoping for more scenic pics to take. Well, a minute into my drive, a truck comes flying up behind me. I move over thinking it was going somewhere. Nope, he flagged me down to stop. I realized i might be on private land. Se he gets out and starts to yell and cuss at me. I told him i was sorry but i did not see a sign and to stop cussing at me. He told me to fuck off many times. Told me i was disrespecting his peoples land. I told him i wasn't and he was disrespecting his people by talking to me that way. He got even more enraged about it. I told him to clam down and i would head out. He said get out now or i will fucking shoot you. So now i am like "what?", over this. So he goes to his truck and grabs his gun. So i thought, maybe i will start to back up. He continues to call me names, telling me that he was going to put a bullet in my white ass. Wow! I didn't grab my camera fast enough to take a pic of him or his truck, wished i had. SO i realize that one time that i go out in the desert for and excursion, i did not bring my gun and it was the first time someone pulled a gun on me. Would i have used it? I don't know, But i would have made sure he knew i had one and it was better than his. I continued to turn around and he kept yelling racial slurs at me. Pointing the gun at me like a crazed mad man. I think what pisses me off the most is that they want us to come to their land and spend our money. Begging for us to but their pots and jewelry. Pushing home made food on us for way too much money. They don't pay taxes. Get government money for something we did not do to them. Have the nerve to look down on us for being there. And then they call us names, speak about us in bad ways (like we were the ones who took their land), and the moment you step out of what they think is against their custom, they freak out on us. Well that is fucked up. As i drove away, i decided to stop at the police station which was on the very same road. I walked in and looked at the guy at the front desk and told him a quick detail of the events. He looked at me and said "were you on Acoma land?, i said yes, he smiled and looked back down. So, nothing will be done by them, i left and decided that i will make sure everyone know how we are treated out there. I will post this to every travel blog i can find. To any reviews of the area. To any government website i can find pertaining to this area. Needless to say, i wont be coming back here any time soon. Gonna relax the rest of my last night here. Do some laundry. I guess i will let you see some pics of their area, if you ever want to come out here. LOL
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Boy, what an event. That would have scared the hell out of me.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to know u okay... That's crazy... Be careful. .. Don't want any thing to happen to u...
ReplyDelete